Monday, February 22, 2010

Might as well face it we're addicted.....

  I'm an addict, I'll admit it.  No, this isn't part of an AA process that I have to go through or anything.  I'm not addicted to drugs or alcohol, which is what most people think of when they hear the word 'addiction'.  I came to the realization that I was an addict a long time ago, namely when I had to go a day without caffeine and thought my brain was going to dissolve in my skull from the horrendous headache I got.  That wasn't the only time either.  Being in the military there are naturally times when you can't always eat and drink what you want every day.  So, I detoxed several times, but always greedily went for a cup of coffee at the first available opportunity.  Why?  The answer is simple, because it brings me happiness to do so and it doesn't turn me into a bad person or effect the health of those around me.  Oh yeah, and because I'm stubborn and I want to....and I like getting what I want. Call me Varuca Salt if you will, but having an occupation where you are told what to do on a regular basis leads to me doing my own thing when I'm allowed.

  I'm not the only one that has this stubborn streak either.  I mean, why do you think there are so many addicts out there?  Because people want to do what feels good.  I began to wonder about some of the most widespread addictions out there, but trying to search for that often led to lists of the most addictive drugs.  I know Americans have a lot more addictions than that.  You've got addiction to caffeine (yeah I know that's a drug too), food (to include chocolate which I can totally understand), tobacco, shopping, gambling, video games, work (yep, believe it or not there are actually people addicted to working hard....idiots), and then there are hoarders (if you watch TLC enough you'll find out who those people are).  So, I decided to do a little self-reflection and devise a list of my addictions.  Most lists like this are done in reverse order so as to build up the anticipation, but let's be honest, no one gives a crap about this so let's start with number 1.

Melissa's Top 5 Addictions

1. Caffeine -  If you even read the first paragraph you should've figured this one out, I mean seriously.  I think my addiction isn't too bad as far as caffeine addicts go.  Yes, I do have a biological dependence on the 'drug' if you insist on calling it that, but I don't take it too far.  Besides, I hardly ever exceed two cups of coffee and two shots of espresso in a day (not all at one time of course).  Sure, I'd forgo food if I had to choose between that and caffeine, but who wouldn't right? 



2. Facebook - I curse the day I ever discovered this site.  A pox upon the person that invited me! I can't go a day without going to this site at least once....ok, a few times.....ok, constantly.  And don't even get me started on the FB games...so rewarding to play and yet so futile at the same time.  I know I'm not the only one with this addiction though, because otherwise I wouldn't have that many people to talk to on there.  I guess this addiction has to do with making up for the lack of social interaction with our family and friends that live elsewhere.  So why do I post on my husband's wall even though we live in the same house?  And I like to keep informed of what's going on in everybody's lives because I'm not only stubborn but nosy as well.

 


3. TV - I know, it isn't fashionable to be addicted to tv anymore what with the internet and everything, but I'm an old-fashioned type of gal.  It isn't even that I'm really watching the television.  Most of the time it serves as background noise so I feel like I always have people visiting me, cause that's how important I am.  And unlike real visitors, when I'm done with the tv I can just turn it off...no apologies necessary.  I wouldn't even bother to pay for cable if it weren't for the fact that I like to be on the computer while having the tv on, which leads to my next addiction.....

4.  Internet - I guess I should be cursing Al Gore on this one for inventing the beast that is the internet, but he isn't really getting the props he deserves for this so I'll let him be.  Yes I realize that FB is on the internet and I listed it separately, but ya'll will just have to get over it.  Just like you'll have to get over the fact that I used ya'll in this blog even though I'm the only person that'll read it. But, without the internet I'd never be able to write this blog in the first place.  I spend an enormous amount of time on the internet now that I'm not actively working.  It's a great place to lose five hours of your life in what seems like 20 minutes of your time.  No more going to the library for me! If I want to research something all I have to do is Google it.  If I want to buy something but I'm too lazy to go to the store all I have to do is Amazon it.  If I want to watch the newest tv episodes that I missed while the pesky background noise tv people were visiting, all I have to do is Hulu it.  And, if I want to see people whose lives are sadder than mine, all I have to do is YouTube it....or look on FML.

5.  Texting - Maybe it's the appeal of my streamlined, curvaceous, sexy-as-hell looking Iphone that causes me to do it, or maybe it's because I have an inflated sense of self-importance, but I'm constantly checking my phone for new texts.  It isn't that I always send out texts.  Often I'm just checking to make sure I didn't miss that all important text message.  In reality, information that's important enough for me to hear right away probably isn't going to come in the form of a text message.  I hate talking to people though, so let's hope that the Georgia Lottery realizes this and will simply text me to inform me of my win.  Also, texting is so much more non-confrontational than talking on the phone.  It isn't enough that we moved from talking to people in person (or 'calling' on someone as they used to say back in the day...if you're over 50, you know what I mean), to telephone calls where we didn't have to see the other person's face, but we have now moved on to texting where we don't even have to hear their voice.  Thank God!

  All this may seem rather sad to some of you, but I think there's a lot to be said for virtual living.  If only we could convince the masses to stay in their homes and text, blog, FB, and watch tv I'm sure the crime rate would plummet.  Of course the suicide rate might increase, but those people probably weren't drinking enough coffee.  Have you ever seen a depressed energetic person?  I think not.  And now there is a growing number of people that work from home via the internet and even go to college online.  I'm waiting for my internet dream job to come along where I get paid to surf the internet, research topics on Wikipedia, and blog all day.  Unfortunately I think that perhaps 60% of the population would love to do that for a living, so competition would be fierce.  Guess I gotta keep drinking more coffee if I want to land that killer job.

No comments: