Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Dreams are weird

  I love to dream, even if it's a nightmare.  Does that sound weird?  Well, dreams are weird.  I took a nap this morning, as is my custom (since I started waking up early in the morning to let the puppy out, feed him, and let him run around until he gets tired again), and I dreamed.  Whether It's my regular nightly sleep or a nap, I almost always dream.  Sometimes I can remember the dreams in vivid detail, including any emotions associated with the dream.  Other times I just have a vague idea of the dream without really remembering most of it.


  This particular nap-dream was a nightmare (or napmare, or whatever you call it).  I don't remember the particulars, but the essence of it was that someone had been stealing money out of by bank account.  They had made many small purchases online over the course of a few hours....probably due to identity theft or something.  In my dream I try to call the bank to tell them these purchases were not authorized but they kept putting me on hold, and the worst part was, I could hear them in the background having a party or something rather than waiting on customers....asswipes.  I got so angry (in the dream) and was running around trying to figure out what to do, when I realized that someone had also stolen my shoes.  How did someone manage to steal my shoes without me knowing about it?  I don't know.  It's a dream.  It doesn't have to make sense.  I also complained to ex-coworkers of mine that someone had managed to steal $15,000 of my money.  And No, I don't have that kind of money in the bank, but in my dream I did.  It begs the question, why didn't I dream that I had a lot more money, as it's a dream and I could have as much as I want.  I guess I was trying to keep it reasonable and yet substantial.  Anyway, I woke up from this napmare feeling 1) angry with my bank for shitty customer service 2) worried that all of my money was gone and 3) thinking I should check my bank account to see if my money was still there or if I miraculously acquired $15,000.

  Even though this doesn't sound like a pleasant dream, it makes for a more interesting day I think.  You can only imagine how interesting and entertaining good dreams are to me. A really good dream can give me something to think about for a couple of days, and may even lead to a sequel the next night.  Awesome in my opinion.  It's like free tv.  Except in your dreams you don't have to worry about faults in the storyline or filling out a character's back story...so it's kind of like an episode of Lost.  That's why I find it odd when people tell me they don't really dream, or never remember their dreams.  That's sad to me.  It's like they couldn't afford their cable and it was shut off so they have to content themselves with reading in the evenings rather than watching American Idol.

  I may find dreams interesting but I don't feel the need to over-analyze them in some Freud-like love your mother sort of way.  Yes, dreams do reveal something about your state of mind, but sometimes dreaming about sex just means you're horny..not that you have mommy issues.  Besides, each person is different so you have to interpret those dreams in a unique way to each person. I can't tell you what your dreams mean and you can't explain to me what mine mean.  Well, outside of the usual, "your dreams are weird and therefore you are weird".  Once I tried writing down what my dreams were about so I wouldn't forget them, but I abandoned that idea.  Too time consuming and there's no way to put some of the crazy shit I dream about into words.  Besides, it just makes it seem even more ridiculous when I write it down, and I feel as if I have to turn it into a coherent story.  And let's face it, we all like a little nonsense in our lives.  I'll take mine in the form of dreams (and Family Guy).

No comments: