Saturday, April 10, 2010

Wii Workout Routines - The Good and the Bad



I used to be a fairly fit person.  Then I got out of the Army and decided to do whatever I wanted.  Whatever I wanted included fast food and sitting around all day.  So I gained some weight.  Once I had to buy new pants I decided to start watching what I eat and work out again.  But, it was still sort of cold outside and I am inherently lazy.  My first choice was to try something I could do from home - video games.  Ok, not exactly video games, but the Wii game console has pretty much cornered the market on workout games.  I guess they have to have a niche in some market as their graphics suck and you can't even play DVDs on the Wii.

So, I bought and tried out a variety of workout games for the Wii.  Some of these games turned out to be helpful in kick-starting a workout routine while others fell miserably short.  This is by no means a comprehensive list, but if you've considered trying some of these out you may want to read this.   Also, if you've tried out some Wii fitness games that aren't mentioned here, let me know how they worked out for you.

Wii fit Plus - This is the most popular (and most expensive) of the Wii workout games.  It comes with the balance board as well which is required for most of the other programs.  Even though this program has a bunch of games that make working out fun, they aren't exactly the most challenging.  In fact they are more suitable for children and the elderly.  There are some exceptions, notably the yoga workouts and the strength training.  Even then the number of repetitions aren't enough to gain much benefit for an already (mostly) fit person.  This program focuses a lot on improving balance more than anything.  This has pretty much become my go-to for a cool down workout or something to do on my rest days.  Also it's something to do when I'm bored but don't want to just sit on the couch or stare at a computer screen.  You can set goals for weight loss (or gain) and track it daily with this program.

Wii Active Personal Trainer - This is by far the best of all the workout CDs for the Wii.  You can set the difficulty level to whatever suits you and you can add to their 30 day challenge workouts with either a custom workout or choose from one of the pre-made workouts.  The intensity is just right for me and has a good mix of cardio and strength training.  There are also sport events mixed in with the more mundane exercises which keeps things interesting.  The disk comes with a resistance band, but I ended up switching it out for one that has a stronger resistance level so that I could get more out of my workouts.  The workouts on their own are a bit short (average of 20 minutes) but it is a good start and I always add to it.  You can also keep track of any additional workouts or fitness activities you do as well as your nutrition. 

Jillian Michaels Fitness Ultimatum 2010 - The title sounds impressive and this workout ain't no joke.  I wouldn't recommend this if you are a couch potato just looking for a little something to get you going or if you are seriously overweight and looking for a low impact workout.  The reps are pretty high for each exercise and there is a lot of running mixed in with the routines.  The running set-up is better for this one than for the other CDs because you are running through a virtual island rather than on a track or just watching someone run in place.  Every time I do one of these workout routines I feel like I've truly gotten a workout.  The tone of this disc is more serious and there aren't any "fun" exercises or routines to choose from.

My Fitness Coach 2 - This is pretty much useless.  The workout routines aren't very long or very difficult (even at the highest difficulty level I could set it to) and you have to be very precise in your movements for it to count as a good rep.  Even the running has to be in time with your "coach" and all you get to look at is the coach running in place.  Boring.  The graphics are bad even for the Wii.  It boasts providing nutritional information as well, but that is also useless.  When meal plans include things like mushrooms or sardines on toast for breakfast I think I'll pass.

Essentially none of these workout CDs can stand alone, but a couple of them are a good start.  I make a point of getting up in the morning and starting the Wii Active which doesn't take very long, and after that I add to my workout, emphasizing whatever muscle groups I'm focusing on that day.  I may also add a workout DVD into the mix for some cardio or yoga.  But the Wii is great for getting off the couch and doing something, setting goals for yourself, and having a set routine without paying a personal trainer or paying gym fees.    

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah, the effects of weight gain, effecting married women everywhere. I don't know if the Wii is necessarily designed to get people in shape, who were already accustomed to a traditional workout. I think it's more designed as a fun way to get people that never work out to start, or tailored solely to the video gamer crowd. It's an interesting idea though. Maybe you and your computer wizard husband can design an upper level work out game for the Wii. It could be your key to fame and fortune on the best selling console ever.

RocknRollGourmet said...

Thanks for this. I had wondered about the world beyond Wii Fit. (I hate stepping on that thing and having it go "oh!". My BMI is at 19!! Don't give me that "oh!" crap! Hmm... feeling my own blog rant coming on...)

Invent an inexpensive yet sturdy Wii Treadmill. I wouldn't feel like such a jackass jogging in my apartment if I were on a treadmill.

Melissa's Espresso Shot said...

@ John - That's an idea but my computer wizard husband thinks the whole concept of working out with the Wii is gay (for guys not women).

@ Rock - I know, I also feel retarded jogging in place or doing the super hula hoop workout and pretty much anything else on the Wii.