Saturday, March 20, 2010

New Computer Yeah!

I haven't exactly been the most productive writer yesterday and today.  I blame it partly on the nice weather forcing me to go out instead of stay in and write.  Most of the blame though is really on me for fooling around with my new computer.  Getting everything set up and transferred and saved to this computer has preoccupied me, but so has playing games online.  I have a 24" monitor now which is a major upgrade from the small laptop screen I had been using.  When I play farmville now it's as if I'm actually on the farm. 

Anyway, with that in mind this post is just going to be a bunch of comments on things I like and not a well thought out or put together blog entry.  Hope you don't mind.

Things I like --

Mental Floss - If you haven't ever read this magazine, I encourage you to.  It's a mix of two things most people are severely lacking nowadays: humor and intelligence.  Mental Floss has a way of educating you and making you laugh at the same time.  Some of their stories are about normal things (like the recent article "10 Provocative Questions about Chickens Answered") and others are a little more bizarre ("10 Prostitutes Who Changed the World").     


Rock Band 2 - The original RB was just a kick ass idea when it first hit the market in late 2007.  Granted it took the idea from the Guitar Hero games, but playing the drums is much more bad ass.  The ability to form your own garage band without worrying about making too much noise for the neighbors is appealing to a lot of people.  Now they have a bunch of additional accessories that make playing even more realistic.  The addition of 1, 2, or 3 cymbals to your drum set simulates an electronic drum kit much better.  Now if only they'd have a set-up that includes a hi-hat pedal we'd be set.

TweetDeck - If you've got an account with more than one social networking site, you'll benefit from TweetDeck.  You can set up a column for each of your sites allowing you to track everyone's tweets and status updates on one page.  You can also submit a status update and have it post to Twitter, Facebook, Myspace (if anyone still uses that), and any other site you want simultaneously.  You can also minimize it and continue working on the internet and it'll alert you to new updates from your friends with a brief tweet and momentarily flashing the new update in the upper right hand corner of your screen.  A good program for those multi-taskers out there.   

Windows 7 - Okay, so I've just starting working with this and I can't say I've discovered all the capabilities of this program, but so far I've got to say that I'm impressed with it. I have to say that a large part of it has to deal with aesthetics.  It is sleek and pretty and easy to use.  So far, so good.

My Husband - Even though he probably won't read this, I gotta give props to my hubby.  He is the nicest man I know and he is intelligent, funny, and attractive.  He got me a computer, added stuff to it, hooked it up and stayed up until 4am doing this for me.  He also came home from work today with Dunkin Donuts.  Freakin sweet.  I love him.

5 comments:

Erin said...

Loooove mental floss. Have been reading it for a few years now; my parents of subscription and every time I visit I spend an hour ignoring them while I read it. Your hubby sounds wonderful! Got to love a man who feeds you!

Unknown said...

New comp is awesome. Big screen new computers are even better. My laptop that I bought for this deployment has an 18.5 inch screen, and I have a 23 inch connected to it as an external so I can watch other stuff while computing, or use it for the Xbox. Then my copmuter at home has a 26" HD with a crapload of inputs.

I never thought I'd hear your husband be described that way.

Rainey said...

OMG Thanks so much for introducing me to Mental Floss.

Can I borrow your husband? Or can he maybe bring me some Dunkin? My boyfriend is indisposed at work and I need a coffee fix.

Melissa's Espresso Shot said...

Erin - Most magazines I will read slowly over the course of a few days but Mental Floss is one I finish within the first day or two.

John - 26" screen?! That's gratuitously large. (That's what she said) I'm glad you wouldn't describe my husband that way, it would be weird.

Rainey - Sorry, he's not a loaner. ;)

Living Shallow, Living Well said...

You have a great guy there; nice work!