Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Home Sweet Home, Wherever That Is




Everybody needs a comfortable, familiar place to go to at the end of the day to leave behind all the stress of work, worry, and homicide-inducing coworkers.  No matter where it's at or what type of building it's in, we call this place home.  For the  past several years, ever since I joined the Army, I don't feel that I've had a home.  Even after I got past the living in barracks thing I still lived in an apartment and not at any one place for more than a year.  I don't think I can really ever see an apartment as a home though. You share a building with other people who are often loud when you want things to be quiet, have annoying children or  pets, and the apartment  management can come in any time they like.  If you try ignoring the knock at the door you may find a worker using his own  key to get in anyway, and that just makes for an awkward moment.

So, the husband and I are planning for our next move.  It depends largely on where my husband gets a job.  We are considering several places: Washington D.C., Virginia, Augusta GA, Arizona, and Maryland.  Quite a mix of places with each having their pros and cons.  So where do I want to live?  My answer changes day to day.  Yep, I'm one of those moody types who can't seem to figure out what they want to do.  That's why I'm leaving it largely in my husband's hands now as long as he doesn't try to move to Alaska or something. 

I had been resisting the idea of moving to Arizona until today.  It just seems like the easiest option with the most jobs available.  The town we would move to is a comfortable size for me (small town but not so small there isn't a bookstore), it is warm (love warm weather), and the housing there is cheap compared to what we'd be making.  So, you might ask, why don't you want to  move there?  I'm from Georgia and hence, am a huge fan of trees and lots of them.  There is far too much non-tree atmosphere for me.  And, I know several people that work there, which isn't necessarily a good thing.

So what about my other options?  Washington D.C. has horrible crime and traffic and is just too large for my tastes.  Maryland seems better but there's still traffic and I feel that I would somehow betray my southern heritage by moving north of the Mason-Dixon.  I'm sure the ghost of General Lee comes to haunt all southerners living in the Yankee states.  Virginia would save me from rebel retribution but wouldn't be too deep south.  Augusta would be not much different from where I'm living now, and honestly getting away from Georgia might be a good thing for us.  That obligatory family thing going on - not our problem.  As long as you live far enough away from family, you don't feel obligated to deal with family drama.  A phone call will suffice.

As you can see, we've got a lot to consider.  Pretty much any place we move we'll find something we don't like about it (I know, so pessimistic).  And, this move doesn't have to be the place we live for the rest of our lives.  Still, I long for an actual  house that I can call mine and a place I can call home.  I just wish I knew where that should be.        

3 comments:

Unknown said...

First, I'd like to start by saying that I always knew you were a confederate all along. And I just want to remind you that the South LOST. And then they went on their version of a hunger strike by not evolving for for approximately 140 years.

That being said. I feel the same dilemma that you have. I don't know where I want to go. For husband was listing the options to me the other day, and had the same feelings towards them. AZ is probably the easiest, but after spending last winter there, I just don't know if I could live there as a resident. Plus I've heard that the particular town is actually pricier than Tucson due to all of the jobs in question. Real estate wise, that is.

I hate to say it but the beer selection for the entire town is terrible, and that's a big factor to me. But they do have Colorado Whiskey. I don't know if it's good, I've just always wanted to try it.

Plus, remember that there are no Waffle Houses in the town in AZ. But they do have a Pizza Hut Bistro, which is disturbing. It's a damn Pizza Hut, and everybody gets all dressed up and acts like their at a trandy restaurant.

Sarrestia said...

I definitely understand where you are coming from. I've never known one home for longer than four to five years. Sometimes I question if I understand what 'home' really means. Joining the Army didn't help, it just brought the number of places I've lived up.

Even though it would be freakin' awesome to see Preston and you once again, in Arizona. I know that decision, though easy (which is why I'm going there tomorrow), isn't the best one for anybody. Whatever happens, I hope you guys make a good decision that works the best for the both of you. And if I don't end up seeing you back where it all started for us, I've got your number and will give you a call.

Melissa's Espresso Shot said...

@ John - Pizza Hut Bistro? Seriously? That is absurd.

@ Sarrestia - You can let me know what you think when you get out there. I'll be glad when we finally get a house somewhere though.