Thursday, January 12, 2012

Spring Semester 2012 Begins

The first week of Spring Semester 2012 is almost complete.What have I gotten myself into? Okay, it isn't that bad but it is a little more difficult than I anticipated. Things I failed to take into account:
  • We received homework assignments in the first week of class (and I don't just mean, "read chapter 1")
  • Juggling my time between school, homework, gym, meal preparation, cleaning, sleeping, spouse time, and pet time makes for a busy schedule
  • It's been 16 years since I was exposed to these types of science courses
  • I feel out of place in classes full of freshman students
Oh, and let's not forget:
  • I want to change my major already
For reals. Less than a week into the degree and I'm already having second thoughts.  There are a few reasons for this:
  • I enjoy my Geosciences class a lot more than I do my Biology classes
  • It will take me four semesters of sequential prerequisite lower level course work before I can branch out into the upper level courses that will count toward my major <---My primary concern
  • I get a bad vibe from the Biology building and the classes
But, I'm smart enough to refrain from rushing off to the Geosciences department to change my major right away.  Even though the topic of Geography/Geology is more interesting I still need to do some research on the types of jobs available in that field and the projected graduation time if I decided to change my major.  After all, I've got some time before I have to worry about registering for summer and fall semester.  Who knows? I may grow to like Biology once we get past the boring topics of atoms and molecules and covalent bonds and such.  But I am a little disappointed that I'm not more enthusiastic about it.

I suppose what this all boils down to is trying to find that happy medium between a career field that's practical and one that I enjoy.  If it's too scientifically or mathematically related it doesn't hold a lot of interest for me but if it's too liberal artsy then it is obviously not as practical.  After all, the whole purpose behind going back to school is to get a degree that will lead to a career.  Now to spend time working towards it instead of thinking about it.   

1 comment:

Sarrestia said...

I completely understand what you are going through. I took up Interior Design because I knew that the priority was to have a job afterward that would pay for a living.

I also had the problem where I would make a degree decision and then change it when I went to college the first time. I switched between physics, biology, anthropology and finally history and russian studies before I had to leave college. This was all in one year! The problem is you have to make a decision before it starts costing too much.

Good luck!!